Saturday, February 15, 2014

Recording Vocals Part I

Vocals can be one of the trickiest parts of a song to record, but can be what sells your mix as being professional or what makes it sound amateurish. There are several things to consider when recording vocals such as microphone selection, positioning, performance guiding, and processing. I am going to do my best to pass on some information that I have picked up along the way through both research and trial and error. The best way to learn this stuff is to apply it yourself and figure out what works best for you, there is no "one way" to do anything in recording.


The first thing you want to do when preparing to record vocals is to select the right microphone. This step should not be shrugged off and considered as unimportant, because the right microphone can make your job much easier later on and the wrong microphone can make a vocal track almost unusable.

Listen to the artist singing in the environment you are recording in. Find out what frequencies are present in their voice. Are you recording a female vocal with a high range or a male with a deep voice?

Often times we are wanting an open vocal sound that has good representation in the high frequencies which will help with presence in your mix. A condenser microphone tends to have more clarity and definition in this range than dynamic microphones. That is not to say a dynamic microphone is not the way to go. You could have a very thin sounding vocal that a dynamic can round out. If you have a vocalist that is just coming out too bright when using a condenser microphone, it may be a good idea to switch over to a dynamic microphone.

Something that I suggest when recording vocals is to make the time to test out different microphones. I often bring out three or four different possibilities as well as maybe one dynamic microphone just in case. I then run them one at a time with the vocalist to see which one fits the vocal the best and brings out the characteristics I want emphasized.

I also record these tests so that I can bring the vocalist into the control room to take a listen for themselves. Often times I have found that engineers tend to disregard what the artist themselves think even though they often have the only judgment that matters... they are the ones paying you after all.

After a microphone has been selected, you can work on positioning both it and the vocalist in the room you are recording in. You don't want to be too close to surfaces, as these will introduce reflections in the recording that can result in undesired effects that are hard to remove. You also want to make sure you are not in any room modes. Stay out of the center of the room where standing waves can exaggerate resonate frequencies of a room.

A vocalist should not be right up on top of a microphone when recording, but should allow a bit of distance between them and the microphone as the picture to the right suggests using their hand as a guide. A pop filter should then be used, placed half way between the singer and the microphone. This will help reduce the chances of plosives and sibilance coming through onto your recording.

These techniques should be a good starting point towards getting a great sounding vocal track. Remember that these are suggestions, and you should always experiment with different microphone placements and use techniques that work for the particular situation you find yourself in. I will be going into more detail in a later post on guiding the vocal performance as well as processing the vocals once they are recorded to get the best results.

What are some of your favorite microphones to use on vocals? Do you find yourself using dynamic microphones on vocals very much? What techniques do you use to match the perfect microphone to a vocal? Let me know in the comments section!

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post as always Ryan. This is a really nice concise and thorough explanation on how to get started recording vocals. I like your distance rule as a starting point as most singers who aren’t as experienced will definitely from a strict distance between them and the microphone, although I have found that with more experienced singers giving them the freedom to move back and forth results in a dynamic performance that is hard to create artificially. As far as my favorites for vocals go I have yet to find something I like better than a u87 routed through a Millennia HV-3D. I’ve also had luck with the Blue Baby Bottle through an SSL channel strip but the u87 combo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Ryan! Very informative on how vocals should be recorded! One of the problems that I have with recorded vocals is actually the talent or artist and not so much the microphone selection and techniques. One of the problems I have is that they tend to grab the microphone stand and move it around like they are some sorts of rock stars. There is one thing that you mention that never really crossed my mind and that is having the talent come in the control room to take a listen of the recorded vocals to critique the work. By the way what is your favorite microphone to work with in the studio for a male vocalist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post ryan! I think you made some excellent points on how to approach the recording of vocals. I think the choice of microphone does have a huge impact on the sound you will get in the end, as well as the distance the singer is to the microphone. That combined with a great mic pre will assure a great recording however if the vocalist is lacking on the talent side no matter how much you plan with distance and with mic selection the recording will not sound great, so I think the performance guiding part you mentioned about the process would be the most in important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ryan, I love the Royer R122V for male vocals, the Blue Bottle for female or backup vocals, and have had some success with the Mojave MA200 when I want warmth. What are your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had a lot of success with the Blue Bottle as well Kyle. I find that it brings warmth to a vocal which is why you may like it on a bright female voice. I do like the R122V but haven't found a song where it was the right fit. I really want to get my hands on a Stellar CM-6. It is similar to the MA200 sound-wise and is much less expensive. There is just so much other gear I want to get that it's hard to get everything I want. But yeah, I generally switch it up a lot for vocal microphones and don't really stick to one thing for everyone. I like the KSM22 and 32 for vocals, which are microphones that are more on the affordable side.

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion!

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *