Saturday, March 15, 2014

To Be Or Not To Be A Musician

Does it make you a better engineer if you also play an instrument? Does it matter how skilled you are at that instrument? Or do you just have to be knowledgeable about music theory?

It is my opinion that it does in fact matter whether or not you are able to play an instrument. I'm using the word instrument to include software instrumentation as well. I don't even think you necessarily have to be great at your instrument, just that you take an interest in it. If I had the choice of going to a studio where, audio engineering talent aside, one of the engineers played music and the other was a music enthusiast, I would probably choose the one that played music.

There are many reasons why I think that an engineer should get their feet wet and learn to play at least the basics of an instrument, if not multiple instruments.

When I was first introduced to synthesizers I had preconceived notions about what electronic music was and was apprehensive from the beginning. I decided right then that I didn't want to be the type of engineer who cut off an entire section of music because I didn't understand it properly. I went into it with the base of "I want to at least learn the terminology so that I can become a better engineer in the long run and be able to effectively communicate with someone who is really into synthesizers."

Just by opening yourself up to learning something new you may just find out you enjoy it, like I did with electronic music, and you might pick up valuable skills that will only help you in your chosen profession.

I think an engineer should always approach music and instrumentation with this type of outlook. Personally, I want to take drum lessons and pick up at least the basics on how to play. This doesn't mean I want to become a drummer, but it will help me to better understand the instrument and be able to more effectively communicate with drummers when they come to me to record something.

Tell me what you think about this topic. I know I strayed from my usual format of talking about recording tips, but this was something that has been on my mind for a while. I am interested to hear what you guys think, and what your approach to learning different instrumentation is. Do you think it is important? Are you apprehensive to learning any particular instrument or style of music? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion!

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *