Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sennheiser e609 and e906

In my post about miking a guitar amp I had mentioned that one of favorite microphones to use on guitar was the Sennheiser e609 or the e906. I thought that I would take a moment to highlight some of the specifications of the microphone and talk about why I like it so much.

So, technically speaking, the e609 and e906 are not very different. They both a have a similar frequency range with the e609 producing 40-15kHz and the e906 producing 40-18kHz. They are priced pretty close to each other at 109.95 and 189.95.


Where they are different is where the e906 includes a three position switch that allows you to change the character of the sound you are capturing, offering slightly more versatility than the e609 offers. The three positions refer to bright, moderate, and dark and effect the sound as you might expect, with the bright slightly boosting the highs and the dark slightly attenuating the highs comparatively. As you can see pictured below, the e609 basically offers a fairly similar frequency response that the e906 offers in the bright setting, with a bit more boosting around 10kHz.


Sennheiser e609 Frequency Response Graph

Sennheiser e906 Frequency Response Graph


When it comes to these two microphones, I would choose the e906 because it isn't very much more expensive and it gives you some options to alter the frequency response.

Now, in my previous post I had discussed how I love using them on guitar. This is very true and almost always, I will add this in my arsenal when recording a guitar amp. Another application that is great for these, however, is using them on drums.

They have a cardioid polar pattern that allows them to stay pretty focused, which is something you definitely want when recording drums. The less leakage the better if you are trying to mic everything separately. I have had a lot of success placing these on high and mid toms when recording drums as well as placing them on the snare from time to time. They have a fast transient response which is ideal for picking up the fast transients of drum hits.

Do you have experience using this microphone? Have you had the same successes that I have had? Do you have a microphone that always tends to be your go to microphone for many different applications? Leave your thoughts and comments down below and share in the discussion.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Ryan! I normally do not use the e906 or the e609 too often, which is something I don’t know why because they are great mics to use. If given the choice I would probably choose to use the e906 because the options you get with the bright normal and dark switch. It also looks like it has a smoother frequency response compared to the e609, although it does look similar the e906 seems to rise and fall smoother. I have used these mics on drums before and I think they make perfect tom mics, they give you a nice tone and when positioned right you can avoid a lot of leakage from other drums and cymbals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having used both I prefer the e906 as well just for the fact that it is a little bit more versatile. I do like them both and own the e609.

      Delete
  2. I have use the e609 on guitar amps before and I really love the sound of it. I've never even considered using it on drums before. I'm interested in knowing how the brightness of the mic effects the sound of the toms. I don't normally associate toms with "brightness" so I would love to hear the results you got from using it that way. This is somewhat off topic but relevant to micing guitar amps, do you have any preference on how you mic the amp using these mics or otherwise? I often find myself micing off axis of the center of the cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to position it pretty similar to what you described, off center from the cone. You should give it a try on toms, they do a pretty good job. What do you usually use?

      Delete

Join the discussion!

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *